Friday, July 26, 2013

Day 67: Best comp meal of the summer

After the headache that was yesterday, I was determined to have a better day today. I loaded up on coffee, chose my cart carefully—I found my lucky numbers—and geared up for a long day. I was supposed to have the first groups off of No. 1, but I ended up starting all of the groups for Bridget since she is just starting to get her voice back. So Bridget followed my groups on the front nine while I started and they were just making the turn when the last group went off, so I just followed them on the back nine. One of the groups got a red card on No. 5, so they were flying though the round because they didn’t want to get a penalty stroke. Since Bridget dealt with that red card, I didn’t have to give out a single red card today! It was like Christmas in July! I only had to give two rulings as well: cart path relief and relief for a drain near the green. Both are just nearest point of relief, one club length and drop, so they were quick and easy rulings.


When I got inside after my groups finished, I got to work imputing the scores that had already come in. We go through each scorecard and enter hole-by-hole scores. It’s one of my favorite tasks because it doesn’t require too much thought and you get into a groove. It was killing me to be inside though because the Girls Division had a playoff. The girls in the sudden death playoff were both in the group that I gave a double red card to yesterday, so it was just crazy to hear the play-by-plays over the radio. One of my favorite players, Kesaree Rojanapeansatith of Nonthaburi, Thailand, ended up holing out for birdie and winning the tournament. She has been at our past three tournaments so I’ve gotten to know her and her family. This was Kesaree’s first win and she was nearly speechless when I interviewed her for the story. It was so cute and I was so happy for her!


After the interviews, Michael and I were able to wrap things up fairly quickly and pack up our equipment. For dinner, we went to Superior Steakhouse, which is owned by one of our player’s fathers. He reserved the wine room for us and we ate in there. It was a fully complimentary meal and he insisted that we order any- and everything that we wanted. Just to give you an idea, the average appetizer was $16 and the average entrée was $30+. We ordered one of their lesser (yet still extremely nice) bottles of wine that was $82 for the table. I had the special of the day, which was crabmeat stuffed flounder. I got chocolate cake for dessert and the waiter suggested a 2004 Far Niente Dolce Napa to compliment it. So he brought out this little glass of wine; there was a little less than a ½ cup of wine in it. Out of curiosity and because our waiter was super chill, I asked how much that glass of wine would cost…. $30! The dinner for 10 of us cost over $1200. Just crazy stuff!
Said goodbye to Brian Philips, one of the
TA's today. Such a goofy kid!


No comments:

Post a Comment