Thursday, July 18, 2013

Day 59: Keep the camera dry!

It was an early morning with all hands on deck as we planned on getting one and a half rounds of golf in today. Since the cart staff was stuffing cart signs, I was able to update our new General Information (GI) board. The GI has clear plastic sleeves where we put and can easily change paper with important info on it. The sleeves are attached by Velcro, so I, for some reason or another, tried to take the Velcro off of the sleeves. My method: scissors. I got about half of an inch before the scissors slipped and sliced my left pointer finger. That cut made sense. What doesn't make sense are the two huge chunks that I took out of my right fingers. I'm right handed so I was holding the scissors with my right hand am yet my right hand got the worst of the damage. It's still a mystery to me, but thankfully Tony, one of the guys from Team 5, had a first aid kit and Kathleen bandaged me up. 

While the course was still really wet and there were a few puddles throughout the course, it was playable. The first tee times were delayed an hour so that the golf course staff could pump water out of the bunkers and so that our staff could repaint some hazard lines that were still underwater. I made my way out to No. 12 for action photography. Just like the tournament two weeks ago, this tournament has 136 players, so I was out there for a long time and the weather just couldn't decided what it wanted to do. It would be sunny and hot one moment and there would suddenly be a torrential downpour that lasted four or so minutes. The mission of the day was just to keep the camera dry. I ended up ripping a hole in a plastic bag and sticking the lens through the hole so that the camera body was inside the bag at all times. I'm sure I looked ridiculous taking photos with a camera over my bag, but I wasn't about to take any chances.
Even with rain throughout the day, we were able to complete the first round of golf and send off the first wave of golfers again to start their second round of golf. We did have to call in the groups due to inclement weather and darkness around 7:45 p.m., so the first wave will resume play tomorrow wherever they left off, then second wave of the second round will tee off, we'll make a cut and play a final round shotgun tomorrow afternoon. That is the plan if the weather wants to cooperate with us. We shall see!



No comments:

Post a Comment