Thursday, July 25, 2013

Day 66: Double red card

Creeper pic of Brian giving a ruling.
Couldn't resist.
I knew before my first group holed out on their first hole that they were going to have issues. They squeaked by the first three timing stations, but went over on No. 17 (they started on No. 10). They were only one minute over gap time, so it should have been easy to make up. I was taking random times on each player to be sure that one player wasn't taking forever to hit her shots and sticking with their group in case they needed help with a ruling. Even with a red card in their hands, they didn't pick up the pace, which caused them to fall further behind the group ahead of them and go over time par. Since they didn't make up any time and didn't show any sort of urgency, they failed to extend their red card so I had to issue a one stroke penalty for slow play. When I issued the penalty, one of the spectators, who I took for a parent, but was actually a coach, became very upset. He started pointing at me, getting uppity and demanding to speak with the tournament director. I tried to keep my cool and sympathize with him, but he really just gave me a headache and made me want to hide. Did he think I wanted to give them a penalty? I'm there to help the groups, not penalize them. It was tough. And to make things even better (sarcasm), the group behind my double red group also went on red card. What a morning!

Jeremy only had three edits on my story!
Such an improvement from past weeks.
When I got into headquarters, I helped the timing stations get caught back up with live scoring. Just as I got caught up with that we had a huge storm pop up and we had to pull the players and spectators off of the course. When we went out to shuttle the players into the clubhouse to wait out the storm, there was a lighting stick every other minute. It was so cool, but pretty scary at the same time. It ended up being a two hour weather delay, but we were able to get the juniors back onto the course to finish the round. Michael and I used the delay to get ahead on all of our work, so it was nice in a way.

For dinner we went to the restaurant that David Toms co-owns, Bistro Byronz. It was a cute little French place. We were all so tired at dinner that we were just being absurd, saying the most ridiculous things and laughing hysterically. It was so much fun!



Loved the drink pitchers at dinner!
True teammates spoon feed each other ice cream.
Honestly, I don't even know.

No comments:

Post a Comment