Thursday, July 11, 2013

Day 52: Sneaky sneaky

I was starting again this morning, so I got everything to the tent only to realize that I left my clipboard at my host home. Strike 1. On the second group that I announced, I stuttered over Mexico. Strike 2. Although I did pronounce Kasaree Rojanapeansatith from Nonthabuti, Thiland correctly. Her family clapped when I said it correctly, so that took away one strike.

I ran inside to use the restroom and I caught up to my groups as the last one was teeing off of No. 2. I thought they seemed a little behind so I cruised down to the timing station volunteer to see if they went on red card. While I was watching them, one of the players swing his club out of aggression for a bad shot and took a chunk of grass out of the rough next to the green. My hand was on my radio instantly, but what I didn't realize is that it would end up being a 1-stroke penalty an not just a warning because he technically damaged the course. Having to tell this kid just two holes into the round that he has a 1-stroke penalty was so tough. Not only that, but he proceeded to hit OB on No. 3. That whole experience was another strike.

My groups were ok for a while, but then my first group went on red card on No. 8... Strike 3. They got bak on green card really quickly, but it's still a hassle to deal with a red card group since you have to follow only that group hole-by-hole. At the end of the round, on had to score my last group, which had the kid who received the code of conduct penalty. I was adding up his scorecard and asked if it included the penalty. Utter silence followed by a 10 minute conversation about the ruling. It was mentally and emotionally exhausting. 

I had a more relaxing afternoon and was able to prep my story, input scorecards as them came in and get ahead on things for tomorrow. I was able to catch the boys leader, who shot 10-under-par 62 with the help of 12 birdies. It was net to be able to interview him directly after his round. We had dinner catered in so that we could finish up some work and we of course had to grab a photo today since Team 1 is leaving us tomorrow morning. It's been such a great week having them with us. It's going to seem so lonely when it's just the eight of us is again. 

Debbie and I got home and within 30 minutes realized that we didn't get proper goodbyes in to the respective teams, so we decided to surprise them. We ran to the gas station, bought candy, stuffed goody bags and delivered them to each team member. We'd call when we were out front and just tell them to come outside. We dropped of Kyle and Andrew's bags first and ended up kidnapping them for our adventure. It was such a fun and spontaneous night! 


No comments:

Post a Comment