Sunday, June 23, 2013

Day 34: Infoscore woes

Got to sleep in this morning and my goodness I needed it! Five and a half hours of sleep was my average last week and I got eight and a half last night! It was such a treat! I even got to speak to both of my parents and my brother this morning, which never happens! I usually speak to one member of my family once a week so to speak to all of them was amazing! In short, this morning was a great start to any day... then I got to the course.

Tschida praying that course markings would end.
Michael and I started off the day by doing the normal "busy work:" printing out forms and sheets we'll need throughout the week and stuffing registration bags. Our ops team was awesome and got us the information we needed to make hole location sheets for the week before lunch. After lunch, Michael and I rode the course. We were coming up on No. 16 green when we came up on Tschida. There's a lot of course marking for this course and he was ready to be done! Such a goon! When we got back into the office we finally had things to do in Infoscore, the program used to run and organize the golf tournaments. I started working, got all of the qualifier data entry completed, worked on a yardage sheet and when I came back to Infoscore all of my player entries wouldn't show up. It was so strange. I called a full time staffer for help and we couldn't get it to work, so she had me email the file to Pierre. Now Pierre is the creator of Infoscore; he was built up as a legend during training. About 25 minutes after sending that email, my phone rang. It was Pierre. He couldn't figure out why things weren't showing up on my computer, so Michael and I ended up switching computers because the files appeared correctly on his computer.

On the phone with Pierre trying to solve our
Infoscore issues. 
This is an unusual tournament because we are actually playing No. 18 twice. There was a frost in Louisiana in late April and it killed the grass on a lot of the greens on the course, so a lot of players have withdrawn from the field. It's been stressful for our tournament director and we've really pulled together to try to make this situation make sense and work well for the players and spectators coming. The tournament chairmen and golf course staff have been so helpful and so nice, which has made things a little easier. Once we figured out how to play the course and how we were going to work the tournament, I went into Infoscore to make the pairings and it wouldn't export the file to Word (Problem 1). Then I went to print the scorecards and it had the shotgun time at 1:30 a.m. (Problem 2). Two hours later with a call to another full time staffer and another email to Pierre, we finally figured out what was wrong. It then took another hour to correct the problem and get everything in place for the qualifier tomorrow. Michael, Matt (our TD), Tyler (our assistant TD), and I missed dinner, but our teammates brought us plates back to our host home. Nothing like dinner at 10:30 p.m. while watching Pitch Perfect. A good end to a hectic and frustrating day!

1 comment:

  1. You are making memories everyday. Some good some.... Way to get er done! Dad

    ReplyDelete