Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Day 16: Action photography

My notes to identify players for action photos.
Another early morning, but we were up and at 'em on time. I was assigned to action photography today. During the first round of every tournament, the comms/media person, which is me this week, is in charge of getting an action shot of every player in the field. The trick is that you also must be able to identify the player's first and last name in the photo. So, I parked my cart at the teeing ground of No. 2 and stayed there from 7 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. to get a picture of every person in every group. To get there names, I used my super zoom lens to look at the players' bags for name tags, graduation dates or any kind of identifier. As you can tell from the picture to the right, I took a lot of notes and didn't miss one player! Mission accomplished!

After I renamed all of the action photos, I went and filmed a swing video on the driving range. A swing video is a video of the junior hitting with a driver and iron from two different angles. The video is uploaded to the college coaches part of the website and is used as a tool for the coaches. I was doing the different angles/shots with this one girl Sarah and we got to talking about random stuff. At one point she stopped and said, "you must have been named 'Most Likely to Brighten Your Day' in high school." It was one of the sweetest things; it made my day! I feel like all I've been doing is messing up my assignments. It's tough to do this job well when I'm still learning the basics about the sport, but Sarah's sweet comment reminded me of why I wanted this internship. I wanted to be able to interact with juniors and parents, get to know them and help them in any way that I can.

We also cleared the course today due to "code red" weather. A spot of bad weather popped up and we had to go out in the rain and shuttle in players and parents. It was a little frantic, but we got everyone in safely. After a one hour delay, we shuttled them all back out and finished the round. The frosting on the cake today was that I snagged a cart with headlights! So fancy!

Shot with a 100-400mm lens
My swanky cart with headlights!

1 comment:

  1. Swanky ride. Splendid recap of the day. Good to see a picture of you. Dad

    ReplyDelete