Thursday, June 13, 2013

Day 25: Box lunch

Final day of the tournament! I followed three groups again today an then headed inside to start inputting scores a writing the post-round story. All of the full-time staffers told us that you would end up judging a course by their box lunches, which we get every tournament day. It's so true. I thought that we were spoiled last week because Steelwood's lunches were great, but Gray Plantation is giving Steelwood a run for their money! Gray Plantation had fruit cups in their lunches every day and they put full size candy bars in there... It's like the house at Halloween that has full size candy bars: it's the best house in the neighborhood. I held out on my box lunch today so that I could eat Darrel's, a restaurant that serves the best poboys in Lake Charles. They were messy to eat, but they were so good!

Every AJGA event guarantees that the awards ceremony will start within 8 minutes of the last group exiting the scoring tent. It's up to the Infoscore person, which was me this week, to enter in all the scores, proof them and print the awards/results sheet within that 8 minutes. Thankfully, I was able to input the scores as they came in, so I was able to complete the scores, check them and print the reports in 2 minutes and 30 seconds! 

3 guys in matching pink polos across the front seat of
a pick-up truck driving to Texas... hilarious!
The Boys Division winner was 11-under-par 205 and it was his first AJGA tournament. He shot a 61 yesterday, which was an AJGA 18-hole record! PS he's only 14! The Girls Division went into a sudden-death playoff! It was a cool end to the tournament. I focused my recap story on those things and I was really proud of the result! It was the first golf story that I wrote that I felt I knew what I was talking about, which is a beyond wonderful feeling! 

We packed everything up right after the awards ceremony and hit the road to The Woodlands, Texas. Our tournament director, assistant TD and comms assistant traveled with us so we sat 6 deep in the truck I got stuck in. It was me an 5 guys... Enough said. 

1 comment:

  1. One of my favorite posts. You had me when you got into the food perspective and closed it with golf and your increased understanding. You driving to Texas with "Five Guys" (they could name a fast food place that) is not something I would have expected to hear from you when you were growing up! HAHA Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete