Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Day 31: Computer problems

The Woodlands clubhouse.
When my alarm went off at 4:30 a.m. this morning, I didn't know who I was, where I was or what was going on... I was that tired! We didn't have to be at the course until 6 a.m., but we had to pick up two teammates who lived further away from the course. After we picked up Alyssa, we got a text saying that Tyler found another ride and thus the search for a Starbucks open at 5:30 a.m. began. I called about 5 different Starbucks all around The Woodlands and all but one opened at 6 p.m. We went to that one and still made it to the course with five minutes to spare!

I started this morning for about two and a half hours. I did my usual and told jokes to the players. I got a few new jokes from the players and still more eye rolls... although I did get a few winks from one player. I moved inside and fixed a few live scoring glitches before heading out to the scoring tent to score the teams that I had just sent off four hours earlier. The player who had winked at me in the starters tent came in to score and told me that he thinks my jokes helped him relax and thus play better. I think he was just sucking up, but it was still nice to hear. I went out and took photos for the rest of the afternoon.

We grabbed a few photos with our complementary cars as well. We've been driving three 2014 Chevrolet pick-up trucks and a 2014 Chevrolet SUV. They are so nice!!! When we picked them up from the dealership on Friday, they each had less than 20 miles on them. One of the trucks had 6 miles on it; we're talking brand spanking new!

Around 6 p.m. when all of the scores were entered into the computer, my photos were all named and Michael was just submitting his story to the website, everything seemed to explode. When Michael went to repair the players for the final round, Infoscore, the golf/player software, wouldn't respond and repair the players. After texting our mentor and full-time comms staff and troubleshooting some ourselves, Michael finally got in touch with Pierre, the French guy who created Infoscore and is "famous" around the office. Pierre came to the conclusion that Michael's Infoscore files are fine, but his computer is corrupt. We finally ended up getting the files onto my computer to print out the scorecards, but then Infoscore wouldn't print the pairings list. So we transferred the files back onto Michael's computer, formatted the pairings and printed those... It's now 8:30 p.m. After Michael posted his story and I text the field about updated pairings, we left the course at 9 p.m. Everyone else had gone to dinner, so they got back to the course around 8:45 to give us a ride home and give us some to-go orders from dinner. What a night!!!

HQ is in the clubhouse daycare room this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment