Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Day 17: Starting tent

My view off of No. 1 tee.
I was so excited about this morning because I was in the starting tent! So for each tee time, I reminded them about Pace of Play, gave them their score cards and announced each individual when it was their turn to tee off. I usually had about eight minutes to talk with the players for each tee time. Once I gave all of my announcements and reminders, I started telling jokes. Like father, like daughter! I got a lot of eye rolls, giggles and "Oh my gosh's," but it was just so fun to get a smile to crack on their faces.

Moe teeing off the dock.
I also did some equipment surveys of the players and it was so obvious that I was not a golfer! During the second round of each tournament we have to take an equipment survey of every player in the field. The info goes into a database used by sponsors and such. The surveys are on a Kindle and you have to ask the player what the make of his/her driver, driver grip, irons, sand wedge, glove, bag, shirt, shoes the whole thing! It's a little intense! The actual clubs are abbreviated on the Kindle, so the first few times I asked players about clubs that don't exist. Once I made myself a cheat sheet though, it was smooth sailing!

At every tournament there is a social activity for players and their families, usually some type of dinner. Today, however, the social activity was hitting from the dock by the clubhouse to No. 1 green. It was a closest to the hole competition and the winner was just 9 feet from the hole! During our meeting tonight, our tournament director recognized that Michael and I were flying though our assignments and finishing before the ops crew. Our TD made the comment that the comms make or break a team and, so far, we've set things up to be an efficient summer! Considering how proficient our TD is, it was quite the complement! We ended the day with a team photo... can't believe our first tournament is almost over!


Team 3

No comments:

Post a Comment