Monday, May 20, 2013

Starting the Process

I pack my suitcase (very last minute and packed tight, might I add), said my goodbyes to my family and friends and moved into the Country Inn and Suites this afternoon. It's the night before my first official day of training. As I sit here in my hotel room after mingling with the other interns in the lobby for a few hours, the anxiety that I have felt over the past few months is at a simmer--it was at a boiling point while I was packing.

I've been so nervous about pretty much everything that this internship entailed. Would I get along with my teammates? Would I be able to keep up with golf jargon since I have no previous knowledge of the sport? Would I be able to keep up with all of the publications? Even the smaller, non-internship things had crossed my mind. Would I be able to make it to church each week? Would I have time to workout?

When I got to the hotel this afternoon, I immediately saw a girl that I met at the Intern Recruiting Weekend (IRW) and we fell into an easy conversation. My nerves were slightly eased as I settled into my room and headed back down to the lobby to wait for more interns to arrive and hopefully find my teammates that I will be working with for the next two and a half months.

When my first teammate, Michael, got to the hotel we started talking about the summer and what we were expecting. Michael is the other Communications Intern on Team 3 so he and I will be tag-teaming on everything for the summer. I asked what one of his concerns for the summer was and he said he was worried about having time to go to church. I asked, he's catholic. Having someone else that hoped and wanted to go to church: mark that part off my anxiety list. 

When I finally made my way up to my room, I met my roommate, Bridget, who is also on my team. We started talking and she explained that she just finished the spring internship--in my mind that meant that I could get the inside scoop from someone who just experienced all of this! Bridget finally said that she needed to go workout before it got any later. Having someone else that wanted to stay in shape and workout with me: anxiety levels keep going down!

After ironing my clothes for tomorrow and figuring out when to wake up--my alarm is going off at 5 a.m. tomorrow--I think I am finally realizing that I can do this. These next few days and weeks are going to be tough! I have a lot to learn, but I can tell just from the two of my teammates that this is going to be an amazing summer and that God is definitely looking out for me! Not only were my prayers were answered about having someone on my team to go to church and workout with, but I was lucky enough to get this internship! I was given a once in a lifetime opportunity to work as a summer intern and I am so excited to get this summer underway!

No comments:

Post a Comment