Monday, May 20, 2013

Internship Day 1: Learning the Ropes

Wow! What a day! My alarm went off at 5am and I am just now ready to turn out the lights. I got up extra early because the hotel ran out of hot water during our recruitment weekend, so I decided to play it safe. Therefore I got down to breakfast super early and got to meet a few more people and get 3 cups of coffee in my system before we headed to headquarters (HQ). While we were waiting to be picked up, my entire team was able to group-up and talk for a little bit. If this morning was any indication, my team is going to have an amazing summer. We were all very upbeat and joking around, which, if you know me, humor is a key component in my life.

When we got to HQ, we dove straight into training materials and golf. Training materials: check! Golf and rules officiating: I have a lot to learn! While most interns were laughing at the "basic" definitions of golf terms, I was frantically writing down all of the jargon that will make up my next two and a half months. From how to take relief from a cart path versus a water hazard to the 4 parts of a golf course, the more I wrote down, the more I realized how in-over-my-head I truly was. Everyone told me that as long as I have an open mind and am willing to learn, I'll have no problem. Gosh, I hope they're right, because I am already rereading my notes!

After lunch, the communications interns split off from the group and learned some basic InDesign (so glad I took a class on it last semester) and photography skills and learned how to set up a tournament in the software on the computer. The tournament software is a little confusing, but I'm hoping by week three we're able to buzz through it! I feel better knowing that I mastered Meet Manager and Team Manager (the programs used by swim teams and just about the most difficult software to understand), so I'm determined and confident that I'll get the hang of this new one. After the computer work, we went outside and practiced shooting golfers in motion. I am SO excited because we are using Canon Rebel T3i's and I am hoping to buy a Rebel T5i in the fall, so this will be crash course on the camera brand and its functions!
All of the clothes we received today. I forgot to include my
 sunglasses, but I'll be wearing those every day too!

After dinner, it was Christmas in Braselton! We got all of our clothing that we'll wear for the internship. We even got a rain suit, which isn't pictured. It was hard to get everything from HQ back to the hotel, but we somehow managed. Now the question is how to squeeze it into my suitcase!

Even with the long hours today, I managed to get a full workout in! I'm feeling good, yet, with the amount of things jumbled in my mind right now, I can't believe that I don't have more to say. I am really overwhelmed right now, but tomorrow is another day! I'm just so glad that this adventure is finally underway! It's going to be a great summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment