Saturday, May 25, 2013

Day 6: Cross Training

I had to snap a picture on No. 12 green. It
was too pretty to resist!
Today was all about learning what the operations interns have done this week and will do for a normal tournament. There is a preseason tournament this weekend at Chateau Elan that we will be working, so all of the work we did today actually went towards the tournament preparations. Since today was the practice round for that tournament, ops were in charge of checking hole locations. So, I went out on the course with the ops on my team and watched them check the holes and mark the teeing grounds. It was really cool to be out on the course and see how the paperwork/computer work that I have done all week coincides with the work done on the course.

We then moved to another area of the course and walked through many different rulings. We went step-by-step through each ruling while using the walkie talkie. It was so helpful! I think I am most nervous about giving a ruling, so it was good to go over all of those again.

Brittany finally hit her limit!
After lunch, it was back to comm stuff. We set up the headquarters for the tournament this weekend and went through many different steps, programs and procedures for what we would normally do during a practice round. It was so nice to be able to get on the computers and play around with the programs again! They are starting to make sense, which feels really good! I was going to take a picture of HQ, but then I saw Brittany and had to take a picture... I think it explains how we are all feeling this week: tired, overwhelmed and ready to work a tournament. We have learned so much, so now I think that we are all antsy to get to a course and start working. During our break in HQ, I got to practice starting a group of players from the first tee, which I hadn't done yet so that was really helpful as well.

During dinner we had a team meeting and went over assignments for the first round of the tournament tomorrow. We then headed over to the Parents and Players Meetings where we completed player registration and got to sit in on the Players Meeting. It was nice to hear the Tournament Directors talk to the players about Pace of Play and certain course markings. I doubt the players were actually paying attention, but they were given the same information that the interns have been working on all week. Hopefully, with they information, they will get in some great rounds of golf tomorrow!

On the way back to the hotel, I asked my car to stop by Publix because I wanted krokies for the tournament tomorrow and the rest of the summer. We were searching for awhile and just dying laughing the whole time. Our version of "fun" is walking around Publix... do what you got to do! I don't think anything was actually funny; we were all just so tired!

No comments:

Post a Comment