Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Day 2: Computer Training

Made it to day 2 and I got to sleep in... until 5:45 a.m! It's really fun right now though getting to see all of the interns during breakfast and talking to them about their perspective of the internship so far. Every time I turn around, I feel like I am getting to know someone new and learning more about golf (thank goodness) and my tasks for the summer. It's wonderful!

Our Ox and Tank vehicle binders.
Today was a long one; we were at headquarters for 13 hours. The day started with our vehicle assignments. We were the only team who get two trucks instead of a truck and a Yukon. It kind of stinks because it's going to be a tight fit on travel days with all eight team members. We won't have any room to spread out, but thankfully we have the shortest driving distance of all the teams. Plus, the vehicles are very, very nice!

We went over the driving rules and all of the paper work involved and then we had 18-wheeler truck drivers come talk to us about how to maneuver the trucks with the 16ft. trailer attached.

After lunch we split up again and the comm interns spent the entire afternoon and into the evening--I'm talking noon to 7:30 p.m.--learning more about the computer programs, how to write in AP for tournaments and more about photography. Yesterday was nothing compared to the amount of information that we received today. Overwhelmed is again an understatement.

At one point, we were asked to write a typical news story we'll write every day during a tournament. I had to ask my other comms intern, Michael, to help me understand scoring, how to distinguish the different numbers on the scorecard and the different terminology when talking about scores. I even had to ask him to remind me about the difference between a birdie and a bogey--my dad would be so disappointed. I am so thankful though that we're paired together! He was super patient and helped me finally start to understand the jargon that I had been reading the past few weeks!

When we got to go eat dinner--by the way, they have some really good food! Lots of steamed veggies!--the conversation was dominated by stories from our teams operations interns. While we did the computer stuff, they were actually in the cares learning how to drive with a trailer attached to them. Tomorrow, it's our turn for driving school, which I'm so excited about! Just to be outside for a day is going to be wonderful!

On our ride back to the hotel (full-time staffers take turns driving us in the Yukons), we all started talking about how our generation says "like" so much. It was such a random topic and there were members from different teams in the car that I didn't know, yet we were all dying laughing by the time we got to the hotel. I couldn't help but realize what an amazing group of people I am surrounded by, both the interns and full-time staffers. The fact that we all still had a smile on our face after an exhausting 13 hour day says a lot about this company and the people that make up the organization. I feel so privileged to be a part of this group and have this experience! It makes me even more determined to fully understand the golf terminology and computer programs! Tomorrow is another day... I'm ready to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment