Friday, May 24, 2013

Day 5: Holes can be moved...?

Our custom pin flags from Leupold!
This is going to be a pretty quick post since we have a preseason tournament to run at Chateau Elan this weekend and I have to be up at 5:45 tomorrow morning. Today was our last full day of training and we actually ended up reviewing a lot of material in the afternoon. We learned a few more computer programs that we'll be using as well as a few other random bits of information, like what copies we'll need of which papers.

Debbi, Brittany and I on the driving range. 
For lunch we had Chick-fil-a! It was really funny because there were a lot of interns from the North who had never had Chick-fil-a, so we had to explain all the different sauces and the company philosophy. Everyone loved it and it made me realize how thankful I am that my team is staying in the south! We'll still be in Chick-fil-a region! During lunch we had a representative from Leupold, the official rangefinder of the AJGA, come and speak to us about the different types of rangefinders so that we could identify legal and illegal finders on the course. It was really helpful because I would have no clue what to look for and it was interesting to see the science behind the devices. They also gave each intern a pin flag with the AJGA logo and his/her name on it!

After lunch we got to go outside! It was a GORGEOUS day! We learned about the videography role of the comms internship at the driving range. We practiced interview set-up and swing videos. Once we learned how to upload the videos to the computers we learned about hole locations.

AJGA tournaments are unique in that the hole location is moved every round, so the hole location sheets must be updated each day. While the operations internship actually decide on and mark hole locations (holos), comms interns are responsible for creating the printed sheets for the players. We actually use an intense formulas sheet in Microsoft Excel to create the sheets. There are probably close to 20 different spreadsheets in the document. It was a really impressive document! While we were talking about holos, it occurred to me that we were making sheets for each round meaning that the hole location was moving... It had never even occurred to me that the hole could moved. My mind was blown! Golf is a pretty cool sport! There is a lot of cutting edge technology that is being used and some really smart people in the industry!

Tschida might love his BBQ a little too much.
 Tonight for dinner we got to go out to eat for the first time! We went to a local BBQ place. As you can tell from the picture, Tschida really liked it and made a mess. We ran to Target afterwards where I bought a larger suitcase. I thought I was good on packing space, but now with our uniforms, I am all out of room! Also, I have been having to iron everything... I am so bad at it! I've always just used the dryer to get out wrinkles  so I have been trying to learn how to iron. I feel like a kid again!

No comments:

Post a Comment