Wednesday, February 9, 2011

"Hurry Back"

Today was one of those days. The type of day were my alarm went off but I wasn't quite ready to wake up; I finally got out of bed, but with a backache; when I got to the gym, I had zero motivation to workout. Know what I am talking about? It was just one of those days. I want to focus on the gym part though. I had no motivation when I got there, but by the time I left I had run 7.5 miles and would have kept going, but I felt guilty since there was a line of people waiting for the treadmill.
Many people argue that you don't go anywhere on a treadmill. Technically, they are correct; I'm not moving from Point A to Point B. However, to me, I truly moved and ran that 7.5 miles. No matter how or where you run the distances are the same. Something is accomplished.
This "something is accomplished" reminded me of my Grandpa Mick. He was a runner and a darn good one. He ran for Michigan State, was an All American Athlete, ran a mile in 4:06ish, was a cross country coach for many, many years, and became the town's favorite coach. When he was coaching and preparing his runners, he would always leave them with the same two words: hurry back. Those two words told his runners that he wanted them to work hard, run fast, and excel. He wanted to see them succeed in whatever race or obstacle that was set before them.
I love his saying, "hurry back." Although it does not fit into every situation... "How was your day?" "Hurry back."... the saying reminds me to strive to excel in one thing each day and that I accomplish something everyday. When I am going through a tough or frustrating time (which, is about every day), I just think "hurry back" and I relax. I call to mind the things that I have already completed and the stress evaporates. Never lose sight of what truly matters in life. The things that seems to drown us every day will not kill us. We just have to remember to "hurry back."

No comments:

Post a Comment