Monday, February 14, 2011

Bad Days

No, it did not rain today. However, it was one of those days where one thing after another did not go as well as I would have hoped. We all have them. The test was way harder than we anticipated. The printer would not work and you were in a time crunch. The e-mail that you had been waiting for for two weeks finally came, but it started with "unfortunately" rather than "congratulations." For me, the day that I just had contained all of these scenarios. The day were you just want to throw your hands up and say "Everything bad has happened. Is there really anything else that could go wrong?" At that moment, a truck hits a puddle and you are soaked. Thankfully, that did not happen to me today. My point is that we all go through them at one time.
You know when you are studying for a huge test and a friend is studying for a hard exam too? We take comfort in the fact that we are both studying for hours. It doesn't seem as bad if someone is going though the same thing. So, why is it that, when we have bad days, nothing can top our sad stories. If you sit down to tell someone about the awful day that you just had and they try to pipe in with a mini-gloomy story, you hit them with a massive, look out for your lives, soap opera of your life. The bitterness started with one day, and somehow leaped into your entire life. Why don't we feel comforted?
I wish I had the answer, because I would love to unleash my inner soap star. I don't though. (I know. Sad.) It seems as though the only things that will comfort me are my good friends Ben & Jerry, but my wardrobe doesn't approve of our love affair. So, I'm sorry Ben & Jerry. Maybe next time. 
For now and always, I am turning to God. For where a door closes, God opens a window. (I hope it's a big window though so my two friends can come along.) I might not find the window tomorrow, but it's there. Proverbs 3: 5-6  says "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths."It's hard to do, especially on the bad days. God is the shoulder of all shoulders to cry on. Lean on him, and, in time, the bad day blues will disappear.

No comments:

Post a Comment