Thursday, July 19, 2012

Steam Out The Ears

Do you remember the cartoons you watched as a kid and when someone got angry their head would turn red and steam would shoot out their ears? That red headed, steam out the ears, steady lipped cartoon character has been me in true living form this summer.
My Italian professor drives me to that point. Every day! Last week I asked if she was going to Chick-fil-a's Cow Appreciation Day--a question that most people would call small talk--and she said no because Chick-fil-a doesn't support homosexuals. Now, I'm not going to say that I agree with Chick-fil-a. I believe that discrimination against anyone is wrong and I don't like it. However, having a professor pinpoint you for eating at a restaurant that she dislikes and says that I am wrong for eating there. I'm sorry, what? Yesterday, I miss pronounced a word and the word that I did say wasn't a good one. So instead of just correcting me and moving on, she told me to not say that or else she would have to tell Father Tom (she and her husband go to my church) that I was saying bad things.
Call me crazy, but I don't think that that is right or appropriate and it's extremely judgmental. I've been venting almost every day to my roommate about how much I hate this professor and today I am stopping. Today, I am making the conscious decision to pray for her. I'm going to pray for her until it kills me and then I am going to pray that I have patience and a level head. AND I am going to kill my next 3 exams. Her negativity and rude comments are not going to hold me back any more. I have to keep reminding myself too that, in a way, it is a blessing that I have this professor over the summer. While it's made for a long, dreadful summer, I only have to deal with her for 2 months. If I had her during a regular semester, I would have had to deal with her for 5 months. Now that is something is thank the Lord for. Here's to being the bigger person and praying every moment while I'm in that class for positive thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment