Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Dominos & Dancing

I don't want to say that I've had a hard time the past few weeks, months, or years. I have an amazing life and I am beyond blessed! But over the past two years I have struggled with finding a good set of friends who have my back and are there for me. I would think that I found my group, something would happen, their true colors would show, and I would end up hurt or realize that these people weren't for me.

My friends from high school are like rocks: they aren't going anywhere. That being said, we've drifted from each other as time has passed. Two weeks ago all four of us went to Georgia Tech for a girl's night out, it was like no time had passed at all. We fell back into our fast bantering, witty remarks and endless laughter. It was a wonderful reminder that while we might not be as close anymore--although I pray with every fiber of my being that we all reconnect soon--they will always be there for me.
This past weekend I went with some friends to my roommate's lake house. It was a rainy day, but that didn't stop us. We were on the boat while the sun was out and we were playing dominos while it was raining. Nothing darkened our mood. Everyone was so happy and seemed to not have a care in the world. All of the work and obligations that awaited us when we got back, seemed to vanish and we were able to enjoy each other's company. It was refreshing to say the least. Saturday night we went to a big party (mostly parents) and spent about 3-4 hours dancing. Just dancing. I've danced before and I love it, but this was different. This wasn't perfect and every move wasn't coordinated, but it felt amazing.

Afterwards we laid on the dock and gazed at the stars. It took my breath away and in that moment I realized that God has given me so many gifts, like dominos and dancing. No matter how small or how large these gifts are there. My mother instilled a tradition in me that when you receive a present, you always hand-write a thank you card. I keep up this tradition, because I know how wonderful it is to receive a letter in the mail. God has given me these gifts and I need to thank him. Last I heard, God hasn't given out his exact address in Heaven so, instead, I'm going to pray. Pray for those less fortunate, pray for those who haven't seen the Light, pray for those who have drifted from the Lord. I have no set backs in my life if I choose to have no set backs. So, today starts my positivity/thankful/humbled perspective on life and, so far, things are looking pretty good!

No comments:

Post a Comment