Sunday, November 13, 2011

Do Unto Others

Last year when all of my friends were trying to decide who to live with in the sorority house, we ended up cutting one girl out of the group to make the rooming situation work. At the time, all I think of was how grateful I was that that one girl wasn't me. That, after all the years of being picked last for teams and not invited to parties, I was in the "in group." That I was wanted. Since then I have felt regret. Regret for neglecting her, for not telling her who I was living with, for being secretive. 
Now, one year later, I am in her position. It's time to figure out who is living with who in apartments next year and I got cut out of the group. It hurts. I felt like they went behind my back to plan living arrangements without me. It's been a constant struggle to not get upset with them or talk down to them. I have brought up the situation once, told them how I felt, cleared the air, and I pray that I do not bring it up again. 
I am being taught a lesson. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Ephesians 4:32 says, "Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you." Jesus calls us to live in the light of His father, but how can we do that when we are so concerned with ourselves. I am upset that my friends are not including me, but Matthew says, "If your brother sins against you, go and show him his fault, just between the two of you. If he listens to you, you have won your brother over." (18:15) He doesn't say to belittle him or hurt his feelings. It feels good to yell and put down someone how has gone against you, but that good feeling lasts for only a moment. Regret takes its place very quickly. Live life as Jesus did: forgive others and love them whole-heartedly.

No comments:

Post a Comment