Sunday, January 4, 2015

Technology stealing our story

I watched a TED talk recently that spoke about technology and how it is changing the way we as individuals and as a society communicate. It made extremely valid points: technology is making silence uncomfortable, we'd rather look at our phone than look someone in the eye, we run from conversations and turn instead to texting and messaging. In summary, technology, and social media for that matter, has made conversing with people awkward, strained and all but impossible.

The talk was given in 2011.

The future that the speaker painted is our reality now. I'm currently headed to California for a conference. I squished between two people and yet, I am on my computer and have my headphones in to listen to--and half pay attention to--the movie playing on the flight. I'm guilty of it too. The constant battle.

Since I graduated college and have begun working, I've realized how technologically lazy I have become. In one regard, I have given up texting. I commute an hour to work, so I have begun calling friends and cousins on my ride. By the time I get home, I don't want to touch my phone. I just want to make dinner, watch the news and go to bed by 9pm. On the other hand, I constantly use technology, searching the web on my phone, looking up a number, on Facebook/Twitter/Instagram. I am fascinated by technology and plan on working in the communications field, with technology communications specifically, for a long time.

I pride myself on being able to talk to anyone, so the idea of falling victim to this trend of technology scares me. I'm fighting it. It is easier to get lost in the apps on my phone than strike up a conversation with a stranger, but what kind of boring society is that? It's a society that I am not willing to be a part of. We must do the uncomfortable to be gracious. We must look up from our devices to see the beauty in others' eyes. We must start talking to be able to share our story and learn new ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment