Tuesday, October 29, 2013

The Power of the Written Word

We write things every day. A post on a friend's Facebook wall. A tweet sharing exciting news. A caption on an Instagram photo. Words, written words are everywhere. Yet the written word that we partake in every day seems to fall short of feeling. We all receive text messages from friends and we don't know how to interpret them. Are they mad? Is it just a statement? What is the underlying meaning? It's part of the world we now live in, this uncertainty when it comes to the written word, yet it holds power over us in ways that we don't realize.

I received a hand-written letter from my grandmother today. I'd like to say that again... a hand-written letter. I know what you're thinking, of course it's hand-written, it's your grandmother. This is true, but Patricia has a Facebook and is quick to pick up the phone. The power that her handwriting held was astounding. There is no "undo" or "delete" when it comes to a hand-written letter. You write in the moment and I think there is something to say about feeling and meaning the words that you write.

I'm a total hypocrite as I sit here writing this blog post on my computer. I constantly change the wording in my sentences and delete words, but I also believe what I am writing. There is something so wonderful about the simplicity of a hand-written note and I love it. Don't be shocked if you get a letter in the mail from me sometime soon. I kind of love the idea of bringing hand-written letters back. I'd like to apologize in advance for my handwriting, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment