Sunday, August 25, 2013

Realizations

I never imagined that it would be this difficult and take this long to transition back into the college lifestyle from my internship. I've realized two major things since ending my internship:

1) It is so much easier to be yourself with strangers. 
When I met my team back in May, we were all starting from scratch. None of us were Facebook friends, a few of us had met during the interview process, but we were all starting with a fresh slate. We introduced ourselves and were allowed to get to know each other over time. We set the pace for our bonding, but we were together everyday so we learned quickly. There were no preconceived notions and, for me, I was able to be myself without fear of judgement. These people didn't have a choice; they were stuck with me, just as I was stuck with them. We accepted each other's faults and strengths and learned to pick up where someone was not as strong. We became a team, a family on our own terms. 

2) There is more to life than Athens. 
I was fortunate enough to work on some amazing golf courses and to see some spectacular cities this summer! Every town had its own flavor and beat that we got to be a part of for a week. It opened my eyes to the beauty and diversity around the country (or at least the central south) and that Athens is just another city on the map. I will say that it has a very cool, urban, hipster beat with dedicated fans that I love, but it is just a city on the map. My fellow dawgs are cringing right now; I just committed the ultimate crime by saying that Athens is just another city. Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed my past three years here and I will be yelling at the top of my lungs when the dawgs tee it up between the hedges in Sanford Stadium next month. My summer experience taught me to see Athens as a stop on my own life map. I'm here for a bit longer then our tournaments this summer (4.4 years longer), but I have bigger and better things on my horizon. It's a chance to learn and grow and I'll seize the opportunities that come my way, but moving on when graduation rolls around will be a welcomed change in my life. 

There is so much that the world has to offer and I'm ready to break the ties that a college town wraps around you. I'm excited for my senior year, but I'm excited for life after UGA as well where the slate is clean and there's more to do!


No comments:

Post a Comment