Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Gaining an Angel

I haven't written for a few weeks, because I hadn't found anything that compelled me to want to write. I've found it though. Today was one of those gorgeous summer days: sunny, a few clouds to give the sky depth, a light breeze. I was driving to a doctor's appointment with the windows rolled down belting out a few country tunes when a song came on that I wasn't familiar with. I regret not paying more attention and catching the name of the song, but I know the line in the song that made me want to write. It was a man singing and said something along the lines of "I cried when mama died, but I have to remember that I gained an angel. She's watching over me." This line struck a cord in my heart.
One of the greatest gifts that the Lord has given me is the time that I was able to spend with Faith Cline. I met Faith through my work in Relay for Life, come to find out that she went to my school. Faith was diagnosed with a brain tumor in her freshman year of high school and was told that she had only months to live. Three years later, after graduating early in a special ceremony from high school, Faith passed away. Faith inspired me. She inspired me to be a better person, to keep an open mind, to have patience, to think before I speak, and to always smile. Besides her wheelchair and occasional medical supplies, you would never know that Faith was sick. She never complained or spoke negatively about her treatment. She is my reminder that when I want to complain, I must remember that I only have blessing in my life. I will never forget her.
You would never guess by the way that I described Faith that I spoke to her only 3 or 4 times. Her actions and beautiful presence have changed my life forever.  My friend, who was much closer to Faith, recently text me about her. She was upset and, although she has faith in God, claimed that God took the wrong person. I responded with "We have an angel watching over us. We are so blessed." We don't know the future and we don't always understand why some things happen, but we must remember that God has a plan. Life is not easy, but we must keep in mind Faith's favorite verse, "I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me." ~ Phillipians 4:13&19

No comments:

Post a Comment