Friday, May 13, 2011

Looking Back

I should be sleeping right now, but I am still trying to get off of college time and back onto normal person time. I should also be writing about my freshman year experience, but I am still in denial so that is going to have to wait. I've been trying to get tired, so I have been searching the net and checking out people's blogs and I came across one that my best friend wrote about all of the friend drama that I experienced. I called her crying and she was there, even after we had drifted apart throughout our freshman year. She was the person that was first on my speed dial and couldn't go 15 minutes without texting, calling, or seeing. She was the sister I never had and, even though she has three sisters, made me feel like I was her sister too. I love her to this day for all of the amazing things that she has done and will continue to do in my life.
It was a weird day. Two of my three best friends from high school and I went back to the old stomping grounds to see old teachers and friends. It was a hard situation to wrap my head around while it was happening. Here I was officially a sophomore in college and I was walking through my old high school like a new born. I wasn't lost, but it felt different. It wasn't mine. I had moved on and so had the students and teachers that I spoke with. We all grow up and change. I know that I have grown up (my parents beg to differ), but I still expected my favorite freshman from last year to be a freshman. Now, he is taller than I am, driving, and almost an upperclassman. When did that happen?
What was even weirder was going back to the place that brought my best friends and I so close together. I refuse to say that we have grown apart, because I know that I can still call them in the middle of the night if I need to and they will be there for me. However, we have all had very different experiences our freshman year and have definitely come into our own. We've grown up and matured and seen many things that we wished we would not have. We danced with strangers and stayed out too late. We’ve grown close to other people and regret doing some things. We have different life goals than a year ago, but still strive to be the best women that we can. We’re different, but still all the same and I love that about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment