Friday, December 6, 2013

Who is your Mandela?

I was so sad to hear about the passing of Nelson Mandela yesterday, yet, when the headline "Mandela dies at age 95," flashed on the television screen, I couldn't help but feel warmth and awe toward the man who had accomplished so much in his lifetime. I flipped back and forth between a few different news stations, and I was enraptured by emotions conveyed in every story about the man. There were stories of leadership, forgiveness, inspiration, understanding, hope, passion. The list could go on and so it did as the stories unfolded on the news casts.

Time and time again, the reporters said that Mandela was a gift to the world, that he touched millions of lives, and inspired so many. These beautiful stories about the teacher brought me to the realization that, while Mandela was a worldly mentor, I have Mandelas in my own life. I look to my parents for understanding, my brother and sister-in-law for inspiration, my friends for understanding, my mentors for leadership, The Lord for passion and forgiveness. Mandela was a visionary and the lessons that he taught each of us will remain alive through the actions of others.

Mandela was a truly remarkable man. He had the support and recognition from the entire world. If anything, this support aided him when he fought for peace and justice. He was loved by all and was told that he was loved. Why is it then that we are so harsh and critical on our loved ones? The very ones that act as a Mandela in our personal lives. As hard as it might be at times, I think it is just as important to give the Mandelas in our lives the love and support that Nelson Mandela received.

His life was summarized by the love and service he gave to the world. He brought peace, hope and joy to the lives of millions. Life could be so much more joyful and beautiful if we gave our personal Mandelas this love and support. It's why I end every conversation on a high note and never pass up an opportunity to say, "I love you," to the ones that mean the most to me. If we can do this, Mandela's life's works will live on and continue to grow, and perhaps this ability to keep on giving and loving is the greatest gift he gave to the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment