Thursday, December 26, 2013

Gram's Favorite

Today was weird. It was hard without Gram. She was right here just four days ago. Gram loved Christmas so, so much! We usually went to mass on Christmas Eve so that the little ones could open gifts first thing in the morning. Well, it was just my family in the house, so we went to mass this morning. Throughout the day, everyone trickled in for Christmas brunch. When I say everyone, it could be anywhere from 25 to 45 people in Gram's house at once. It was crowded and loud, but we didn't mind. We all loved it and so did Gram.

She would sit in her favorite chair in the front room of the house for the entire day. Right when people walked in, they would run over and give her a huge hug. There were so many of us that you almost had to get in line to give her your gift. Even though she opened so many gifts throughout the day, she took her time opening and admiring each gift. She was an amazing receiver of gifts, calling everything a treasure and exactly what she needed. More then anything she just loved having us all there. She loved seeing us play cards, which is a daily activity at Gram's, and talking and exchanging gifts. It was exhausting for here, especially these past few years, but the whole day filled her with so much joy.

I kept expecting her to walk out of her room today and wander over to her chair, but then I'd glance at her darkened room and reality would strike, not in a bad way but more as a reminder that things are changing. She had already wrapped all of our gifts, all 10 children and 24 grandchildren, and they were sitting under the tree. So we did open the gifts from her today and had to imagine her smile as we opened them. The older kids have gotten money for the past few years, which is fine. Her handwriting on the card is worth more to me then the money inside. But before I went to bed, my dad told me that there was another gift under the tree with my name on it. I had already gotten my gift, but I went and got the beautifully wrapped gift (Gram always wrapped each gift with an extra treasure, like a glittery flower or an extra-special bow.) . Inside was a handmade earring holder. Gram knew me so well. I wish she would have been here so I could have hugged her, but I know that she was smiling down from heaven when I opened it. She was here the whole day with us; I know she was. And for now, that feeling of her presence is what it getting me through these next few days. As Gram would always say, "Love you so."

No comments:

Post a Comment