Thursday, February 23, 2012

Reassurance is Bliss

Yesterday I had a minor--ok, a really big--freakout about my lenten sacrifice. Was I giving up enough? Was I really showing my faith in Christ if I wasn't giving up the things that I am addicted to? I called my mom last night to run the whole thing by her, and while that helped to calm my heart and mind, I was still uneasy about my decision to give up Twitter and flavored water. I felt like it wasn't enough.

I got my reassurance that those two things are enough this afternoon. Today was an amazingly beautiful day! We're talking sunny, no clouds in sight, and 75 degrees. B-e-a-utiful! I went to Starbucks (shocker, I know) to celebrate the gorgeous weather and while I was standing there waiting for my drink, I had the urge to tweet about the great weather and the Starbucks about to be in my hand. Then, later when I was sitting on the front lawn doing homework, I wanted to tweet about the low hum of country music coming from the fraternity across the street and the sun streaming down on my skin. It was a strange feeling. I gave up Twitter as an alternative to Facebook because I need Facebook for school and my internship. I know I'm not as addicted to Twitter as I am to Facebook; I didn't event think I was addicted to Twitter. The desires that I felt this afternoon to tweet, answered my question from yesterday. My sacrifices are enough.

The best part is that every time I wanted to tweet today and I realized that I couldn't, an idea popped into my head: who cares? Who cares what I have to say or what I'm doing? It cracks me up that I became addicted to something that serves very little purpose other than to inform people about my life, which they probably have no interest in. Too funny!

No comments:

Post a Comment