Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Worrywart

As I sat down in the waiting room for a HUGE interview, I starting rubbing my hands together, picking at my nails, and shifting my gaze. I took a few deep breaths, said a prayer, and, 30 minutes later, the interview was over. Walking out of the room, I felt good. I was confident in all of my answers, even though I stumbled a few times. Now that I have had time for the entire interview to sink in, I've started to worry again.
Why did I answer that question like that? I should have answered it like this. Why didn't I elaborate more on this topic? I should have mentioned that I'm good with time management. The list goes on and on. I keep reminding myself that I did the best I could; it's hard to think on your feet and relax enough in an interview to let your guard down. Still, I can't help but bring myself down. I'm beginning to take the stance that if I go ahead and accept that I did not receive the position, it will be less heart breaking when I don't get it. It goes against one of my biggest goals in life: be positive about every situation and learn from it. I know that I did what I could and that the rest is in God's hands. If I am meant to receive this position, I will. If not, then I either would not have been happy in the position or there is something else better down the road. I know this. I know this. I know... I... It is easy to say, but it's a hard pill to swallow.
I think that we--society and the people that make it up--get so bogged down with worrying. We worry about traffic, the weather, friends and family members, whether we'll make a good grade on an exam, or if we'll get that promotion at work. I feel as though we spend more time worrying about these things than we do actually living. It's a personal thing, for sure. How do we fix it though? How do we focus on things we can control, rather than the things we have no control over?
My answer: be yourself and let God take care of the rest. Whatever happens, He will not lead you astray. He always has your best intentions in mind.
So, while I want to sit here and dwell on my interview and what I didn't or should have said, I'm going to get ahead on homework and live my life. I'm going to focus on the things that are still in my control and be happy with whatever I am given. Well, I'm going to try...

No comments:

Post a Comment