Friday, January 27, 2012

Just Passing Through

After four days of restless anticipation, I got the email about the job that I interviewed for. It was a no. I didn't get the position; I don't get to be a part of an awesome organization that gets to touch thousands of live. It stinks, I can't lie. It does. I keep repeating the numbers, though: from 288 applicants to 36 people asked back for a second interview to 15 people who actually got the job. I made it to that 36. Wow. The numbers make me feel good. Especially because I was asked back after a group interview with 6 other people. So, not only did I outshine those 6 people, but also 252 other people. Yes, those are good numbers. I'm choosing to keep repeating that stat.
As soon as I text my family about it, they all called me. My mom asked me if I cried--she knows me so well, or at least used to. I didn't cry when I read the email. It was tempting, but I chose to be bigger than this situation. It would be incredibly easy to let this drag me down, to let this consume my life. I'm not going to let it though. My friend shared a saying with me last week that keeps running through my mind.
"You're just passing through." 
She explained to me that when a bad thing pops up in our lives that it won't last. Everything will eventually go away, which means that we are just passing through that point in our lives or that situation. Even good things will come to an end, so enjoy it while you have it so that you can continue on with your life once it is gone. I was given this amazing opportunity--top 36! woot woot!--but I'm not lingering at this point along my life journey. I'm now viewing this event as a huge learning experience. The second interview for this position was the first time that I was in a one-on-one interview. I learned from it and now I know what it's like.
I'm convinced that the only reason this would be a bad situation is if I allowed myself to perceive it as bad. I still plan on eating a huge bowl of ice cream to comfort myself, but this situation is not a bad thing. It's just the opposite though! I got a confidence boost for being asked back for a second interview; I experienced a one-on-one interview; I was able to meet and talk with some remarkable and inspiring people. To me, that is a success and a point in my life to celebrate. It's also exciting to think about what the Lord has planned for me in the future. I wanted this so much, that I know, if God didn't see fit for me to get the position, that he has some huge things coming my way in the future. Now, that is an overwhelming thought. God has my whole life planned. My whole life. Wow. When I remind myself to think like that, I know that this little hiccup is nothing to worry about. I'm going to encounter more obstacles in my life, but this isn't one that I need to worry about. God has my back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment