Thursday, August 21, 2014

Why I accepted the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

It's everywhere. Video after video being posted on social media, highlighted on television and discussed daily. After a few days of seeing the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge videos, I was over it. Maybe it's the fast-paced 20-something in me that constantly needs something new, but the videos were more annoying than anything after a week. Then I got nominated; I really dug in my heals.

As I saw more and more of my friends excepting the challenge, I decided to learn more about this disease that had everyone dumping water on their head. I learned that ALS does not discriminate. It does not know age, race, gender. The hard part is that doctors don't know what causes it; it is a mystery. Those affected by ALS have a hard road ahead. Their life expectancy is two to five years, in which time their body slowly deteriorates until they have to eat through a feeding tube, are confined to a wheelchair, and have to rely on others to use the restroom, sit up and breathe.

The idea of not being able to run, stand up in the kitchen to bake, and walk around to take photos. It's a terrifying and heart-wrenching prospect. I feel so, so blessed to have my health in tact. As if the research didn't have convinced to douse myself with ice water, I then watched the following two videos and my mind was made up. I was accepting the challenge.


No comments:

Post a Comment